Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MANINI MOSEHLE

Even Angels Inhabit the Earth

One of Poetry Farm’s latest assets, known for her flat but mesmerizing voice, in this issue, we catch an interview with Manini Mosehle, and get her answering the questions that every poet has to answer in this column.

Q: First of all, who is Manini, and how do you define yourself in poetry?
A: Actually, poetry defines me! I like playing around with words. Creativity and playing around with words is my game.

Q: How would you define your poetry?
A: My poetry depends on the situation really. I’m not narrow-minded, so I write on everything.

Q: Otherwise, what is your definition of poetry?
A: A literature of motives and thoughts.

Q: When did you start writing poetry and what inspired you?
A: I started in 2003, inspired by Lebo Mashile.

Q: Since you started in 2003, what have been your experiences in poetry?
A: Well, it’s hard to get exposure, because many people are not interested in poetry.

Q: Who are your top three local poets, and international favourite?
A: Internationally it would be Lauryn Hill, and my top three local poets in random order would be, Dee, Sheila, and Lineo.

Q: Where do we see Manini 2 years from now?
A: having my own book, and known internationally!

Q: What achievements have you had in poetry?
A: Since 2004, I have won first price awards in all school competitions I have been in, since high school till tertiary, and won a trophy in one poetry competition held by UNICEF sometime back.

Q: And what would be your most outstanding performance thus far?
A: That would be the CRC 200gr8 Assortment Night (my first tertiary poetry competition), in 2008. It was phenomenal because it exposed me to my friends, both from school and home, who did know I had it in me. And hey, I won first prize (she laughs)! Again because it was God-based.

Q: What do you think of the state of poetry in the country and what do you think can be done to improve it?
A: People don’t take poetry that much into consideration, and I can guarantee that they are missing out on a whole lot. Again, the society does not have motivation for the upcoming poets and poetess’. To improve these, people should be more exposed to poetry, parents should motivate their children if they are interested in poetry. Moreover, government should be more involved, by funding poetically based functions, and some poetry institutions should be developed because the youth can be kept away from delinquency through poetry, whilst they are having fun.

Q: Last words:
A: To all people, poetry is fun, and those who know, they will agree, and those who don’t know, everything is worth a try, and for those with talent, work at your utmost ability to achieve potential… and to all Basotho, we need support!

5 comments:

  1. You are correct in all that you say. I commend you and your poetic efforts. Consider including collaborative poetry to your book in progress. You help make sense of all the fuss made about poetry by Plato and Socrates -- love your definition of this art form.

    Andrew G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bakubung bibo seutloaliOctober 31, 2009 at 3:02 AM

    hey there girl. i would say i was and still am a big fan of poetry... well at certain poets at any rate, people like Simon Arnitage and John Copper Clarke, who both write brilliant, jump-off the page staff, that to me is really inspiring. good luck in your efforts to write a book, hoping 4 a copy

    ReplyDelete