Friday, October 16, 2009

SECHABA KEKETSI


The Verbally Possessed Lyrical Bacteria

Lesotho’s number 2 poet among the Lesotho’s top twenty poets, founder of the Letsibolo Poetry Project, Poetry Farm PRO… need we say more! He was born in Lesotho and given the name, Sechaba Keketsi, but because of his obsession with the art (poetry) he decided to give himself a name that defines his position and role in poetry. To the general public, he is known as Lyrical Bacteria, and this week, Poets’ Blog captures an exclusive interview with this phenomenal poet.

Q: Who is Sechaba and how would you define yourself in poetry?
A: A simple yet complicated person who is very much into poetry. Verbally possessed! I am a verbal graphic designer!

Q: When did you start poetry and what inspired you?
A: Back in 2001, I was given a challenge by my high school drama teacher to recite some poetry, and after my performance he was impressed by my skill and started giving me some of poems to recite. However, I hadn’t started writing then. I started writing in 2005 as Lyrical Bacteria, inspired by some local emcees like Core Wreckah, Fairo, and the whole lot. I actually started as an emcee, but my stuff was more on a poetry tip, hence I shifted to poetry.

Q: You are known to be in a lot of poetry projects, so for those who don’t know, can you tell us, which projects have you been involved in and which one is your most outstanding project?
A: My most outstanding project would be the Poets’ Paradise Male Poets Against Gender-based Violence, because of the unity seen among male poets to voice the opinions against gender-based violence, through their written poetry; and the response the project got from the media was overwhelming as well! The second project will be the Lestibolo Poetry Project (LPP), which I am working on with Ms Thokozani Motinyane. These project focuses on taking quotes from local poets putting them in one paper, and distribute them, and in that unite local poets.

Q: Being Lesotho’s number two poet in the Lesotho’s Top Twenty poets contest run last year, how did it make you feel?
A: First of all, it was humbling, because it showed that people appreciate poetry in this country, but I was saddened by the fact that some of my favourite poets were behind me. On the other hand, it gave me inspiration to continue, but continue with humility.

Q: So who would you say are your top international poets, and your top three local poets?
A: Ok, locally my top three in random order are, Ivy, Teboho Rantsoabe, and Thato Chobokoane, and internationally, we have, Mak Manaka, Napo Masheane, and Saul Williams.

Q: What do you think of the state of the state of poetry in Lesotho and what do you think can be done to enhance it?
A: It’s promising! It’s growing! To try to elevate it, I think more unity could help. The kind of unity that brings forth projects that make poetry take a forward leap in the country.

Q: What is your personal definition of poetry?
A: The reinforcing steel in me that prevents the inner complex me from crushing me down.

Q: What do you think is the role of poetry in society?
A: Let first start by saying this quote from the Tribute Magazine, it says, “a country without poetry is a country without soul”. The role of poetry to me goes beyond just about your feelings but goes to touching someone next to you, get them to think consciously and clearly. Again, poetry can serve as entertainment. Poetry is not just about sharing the serious and touching things, like abuse and stuff, but can serve as entertainment as well. Yah, those two would be the role of poetry in society according to me.

Q: Where do we see Lyrical Bacteria two years from now?
A: A very active poet in the Lesotho poetry sphere, and strong active member of the Poetry Farm.

Q: Last words…
A: Our days are like identical suitcases of all the same size. Some pack more into them than others, question is, how much can you pack yourself, when you’re not enthusiastic about what you do?

2 comments: