Friday, October 16, 2009

SHEILA KHALA


SHEILA KHALA
THOSE WHO HAVE WATCHED HER PERFORM WOULD SURE AGREE THAT SHEILA KHALA’S STAGE PERFORMANCE IS OVERWHELMING NOT TO FORGET THE UNIQUE AND CREATIVE RHYTHM SHE ENVELOPES HER POETRY IN. HAVING WON HERSELF A TOP TEN POSITION IN
THE LESOTHO TOP 20 POETS SHE PROMISES TO BE A POWERFUL VOICE OF THE VOICELESS THAN SHE IS ALREADY.POETS BLOG SET ASIDE ITS TIME TO BRING YOU THE PROFILE OF THIS SELF MOTIVATED AND COURAGEOUS POET. ENJOY.
Q: please let us know who Sheila is and when did she meet poetry?
A: Sheila is a 19 year old, God-fearing and calm girl. I started going public with poetry in 2007 after I emerged the winner in a poetry competition that was held by Miss PC fm 2007 in collaboration with Poetry Farm. One of the prizes was an opportunity to join Poetry Farm in some of its performances and eventually I was given membership into Poetry Farm.
Q: What is your persona definition of poetry?
A: Poetry is defining your feelings through a creative combination of carefully selected words that come from a different perspective you have about certain issues in life. It is the voice of the voiceless.
Q: Your local top three poets and international?
A: My local top three poets in random order are Liemo Monaheng, Lindelwa Xingwana and Lyrical Bacteria. Internationally I only have two, them being Napo Masheane and Tumi.
Q: What have you learned about being a member of Poetry Farm?
A: one important thing I have learned is Unity. We work as a unit because we are totally different but equally talented. All the Poetry Farm poets have their own unique brand of poetry and that in a way has shown and taught me to appreciate different poetry brands or styles as they come.
Q: who would you like to collaborate with in the local poetry sphere?
A: I really can’t say right now, I am not sure who I would choose.
Q: what are your views about the standard of poetry in the country?
A: Well I know a lot of people may not be optimistic about poetry but I generally think our poetry standard is growing. I guess it starts with poets believing in themselves and actually taking their time to perfect their art.
Q: You’re most memorable performances?
A: one of them has to be the performance I had at the Worship Explosion in 2007 where I actually got born again. The performance still lingers vividly in my mind. Other than that my other memorable performance was at Lehakoe this year when I did a piece in memory of the late Tiisetso Green (May her soul rest in peace). I managed to touch a lot of hearts with that performance and for me as a poet; touching someone emotionally like that says I was on point.
Q: with the Urban Poetry Buffet coming up next month what do you promise your fans?
A: (smiles) I never reveal but what people have to know is that I am capable and I will do my best to leave people to have something to take home, no one will leave empty handed!
Q: your goals with your poetry.
A: I want to see myself going international and most importantly being able to help younger talented poets. Other than that I sure will be doing a lot of recordings, nothing solid as yet.
Q: what do you think is the role of poetry in society?
A: it is the voice of the society, especially those who cannot speak for themselves.
Q: Your last words?
A: If you have a dream, go out for it and never look back. Most importantly remember that you have to work for your dream and don’t let anyone pull you down. Lastly always trust in God.

5 comments: