Monday, November 23, 2009

REFILOE TENEI



It is the passion with which she writes and resides her poetry that will definitely compel you to spare an ear next time you see her bless poetry fanatics with her rich poetry. Constantly inspired by the fact no man is promised tomorrow Refiloe commonly known as Fifi amongst her friends promises to be one of the country’s powerful and passion-driven female poets. Poets Blog captured a few moments of her tight schedule and today brings you Refiloe Tenei’s profile.
Q: Can you please let us know who Refiloe Tenei is and tell us how you fell in love with poetry?
A: Well first of all I started writing poetry in 2004 while I was at high school level doing my form D, and I still remember the first piece I wrote. Otherwice Refiloe is a friendly, sociable individual.
Q: What do you mostly write about?
A: I generally write about almost any issue, topic and subject I feel I need to say something worth people’s ears. I write mostly when I am inspired either to celebrate or to deal with something bothering me. I can also write imaginary poems, that is to say maybe relate a fictional story via my poem though in a meaningful way.
Q: What is your personal definition of poetry?
A: My definition is poetry is an essence of what life should be.
Q: What keeps you motivated as a poet every single time you write?
A: My main inspiration is the fact and realization that tomorrow my heart may never be dancing to the music my lungs sings, that today I am living and someone is not which calls for me to do something noteworthy when I still can.
Q: Your top three local poets and three international poets?
A: (oh!)I am not saying this because she is my friend but Black Diamond is my number one poet, secondly it has to be Lineo Kolobe and thirdly Lyrical Bacteria. Internationally it has to be
Q: Have you thus far collaborated with any poet?
A: No, not exactly. We have been trying to do a collaboration with Black Diamond but well since we are friends (and hence play too much around each other) we end up not completing the poems.
Q: Do you think there are enough platforms for poets in the country?
A: I definitely think we do, it’s all up to us to utilize them effectively. I mean here at the National University (NUL) we have sessions as poets where we meet and share our material.
Q: Do you think there is a necessity for poetry collaborations?
A: I definitely think they are necessary and important.
Q: Your message to all those who are still hiding in their cocoons?
A: Allow me to quote from one of my poems and say “it starts from a tree that springs from the soil until ultimately its grows into a bush”. What I mean is that you cannot expect people to know about you and your poetry if you are still hiding yourself and also just because one has cracked their cocoon it does not mean that they will suddenly be known entirely by the poetry fanatics. It takes hard work, dedication and passion.

3 comments: