Saturday, June 6, 2009

Moretlo "Drizzle" Likate



Our local poetry sphere is graced with fearless poets who speak their mind right away; one such is Moretlo ‘Drizzle’ Likate. Enclosed in a shell of sheer creativity this young mature female poet exhales poetry that stems from a very critical analysis of our society. If love poems, praise poems and controversial poems tickle you, then Drizzel is the right poet to listen to. Poets Blog gathered all there is to know about her, enjoy your journey through the interview.


Q: Please tell us about yourself?
A:
well Drizzel is a young mature woman who has been doing Poetry for the last four years and I just consider myself a lyricist.

Q: So when did you start writing poetry and who inspired you to be in the poetry family?
A:
I started writing in 2003 back in high school. I was inspired by one Teboho Rantsoabe (one of the best poets in the country I must say), actually he introduced me to poetry and taught me everything I know about poetry. After being injected with the inspiration I wrote my first piece and lucky for Mr. Rantsoabe liked it and that was I when I started writing extensively.

Q: What is your definition of poetry?
A:
Self expression.

Q: You’re top three local poets and your top three international poets?
A:
I know you asked me to give my top three but please allow me to give top four, them being; Lineo Kolobe, Black Diamond, Lyrical Bacteria and Nuch . Internationally I will go for Kgafela oa Magogodi, Jill Scott and lastly Mac Manaka.

Q: In your six years as a poet do you think poetry has crown in the country?
A:
Poetry has grown and it is continuing to grow although I am not sure if the direction it is taking is a desirable one. Nowadays you have so many people doing poetry and sometimes as a poet you ask yourself if all this people have poetry at their heart or they are just in it because they realize that the in the near future poetry might be one of the biggest art forms in the country which might turn out to be profitable or something around those lines.

Q: Having said poetry is growing how do you think you can fuel the success of poetry in the country?
A:
I think the best thing I can do is to improve my own craft as an individual poet, in that way I will be doing my role of inspiring more poets. Doing a lot of performances will also help fuel the success of poetry in the country, because what I write about is true life stories not something out of the blue.

Q: Has Drizzel ever collaborated with any poet thus far?
A:
Well I was supposed to have done a collaboration with one Lyrical Bacteria but I never saw the light of it l am not sure why but yes I have collaborated with Crystal (Malehlohonolo Ramathe) at the World AIDS day poetry session organized by Malord ‘Mefane at the then Good Times Café.

Q: Do you mind telling us where you have performed thus far if at all you have had any performance.
A:
(smiles at the sound of the question!) I have definitely performed at my former high school; Advent Ville High School, at the World day AIDS day at poetry session in 2007, at the launch of family club, at the echoes in the Mountain Kingdom show also in 2007, at the launch of Z-Digi’s mix tape in 2008, and at the Mountain Kingdom Come Alive show late last year.

Q: Where do you see yourself in two years?
A:
WELL I WOULDN’T LIKE TO PUT IT IN A TIME-FRAME OF TWO YEARS BUT RATHER THAT DRIZZEL IS GROWIUNG AND WILL CONTINUE TO GROW

Q: Your last words to your fellow poets?
A:
DO WHAT YOU DO BECAUSE YOU LOVE IT NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN INSPIRED BY SOMEONE TH SOME OTHER ALTERIOR MOTIVE OR SOMETHING OF A SORT. WORK ON IMPROVING YOUR MATERIAL.

[ADAPTED FROM THE WEEKLY MAIL POETS BLOG BY POETRY FARM]

1 comment: