Monday, June 8, 2009

Amohelang Kosene


Hear her recite and you will to be compelled to clothe yourself in attires of silence and concentration. The beauty of the poetry she exhales definitely matches her brown beautiful African body and sweet voice. Proud of her roots her performance shines with confidence. Poets Paradise this week brings you the interesting profile of this young emerging female poet.

Q: Please tell us about yourself.
A:
Well, I am a Mosotho girl who was born and bred in this country. Amohelang is currently doing her second year of Law at the National University of Lesotho (NUL). I come from a family of two, my mum, who is a single parent, and I. I believe I am a friendly person naturally. Very polite, I laugh a lot so I guess that normally puts people at ease around me.

Q: What got you into poetry (what did you find special about it out of all art forms)?
A:
I chose poetry because all I need is pen and paper to put down how I feel. With arts like drawings and paintings, you won’t always have the needed material. Instruments are also ok but you don’t want to be thinking about that harp or guitar you forgot at home or had to leave. As much as I also like drama, it has a lot of complexities, like expressing the writer’s view and not my own. So poetry was more like my escape route.

Q: What inspired you to start writing? (When did you start?)
A:
The primary school I went to offered art in many forms so I guess I started at quite an early age, but it was just for fun and just as part of my schoolwork then until I noticed I really love writing. This I realized when I got to high school. It did not offer art but I still wrote poems, though I slowed down a bit because of other activities I took (basketball and debate), I still loved the feel of pen moving on paper. I normally get inspired by how I feel at that particular moment. Pain, bliss, confusion, love, dislike (for anything), joy, I just normally write according to how I feel about me or the next person, object or situation.

Q: What is your definition of poetry and how does it define your poetry?
A:
My definition of poetry is “HOME”. This is where you feel most at ease in and within your thoughts. This is where you feel relaxed and there is no one to snatch the peace within you because you can express exactly (or rather close to) how you feel or what you think without any judgment especially if you do not show your piece to anyone. Like I said, I write according to my relevant emotions at that particular time, so poetry is home for me to say exactly what I want when I want. I could say my home in this context is rather personal and that’s how my poetry is.

Q: What were the challenges you faced during infant stage as a poet?
A:
Hahaha! Well, I got rather intimidated by a lot of things. I could say the stage and my audience basically. I was always wondering whether people would understand the message I am trying to portray without any sugar-coating or intensifying of what is presented before them. So I could say the main challenge I faced was coming out of my cocoon.

Q: Where has Amohelang performed thus far?
A:
Like I said, I got rather intimidated by my audience to-be; my first and only performance thus far was at the Valley Breeze(season 3) that was hosted by Poetry Farm at NUL.

Q: Who are your local top three poets and your international top three poets?
A:
My local top three poets are Lineo Kolobe, Lerato Brown and Nuch. Internationally I love Lebo Mashile, Lesego Rampolokeng and Wayne Visser.

Q: Has Amohelang ever collaborated with any poet? (If so who and why did you collaborate with the said poet/if not who do you look forward to working with and why)
A:
Nope, she hasn’t collaborated with any poet. I would love to work with Lineo Kolobe, she inspires me a lot. She is actually one of the people who encouraged me to audition for the Valley Breeze after she saw my other pieces, also helped me pick the one to perform that night. So if one of the best poets in Lesotho actually called my work “a master piece”, I thought to myself, “Why not?”

Q: Do you think poetry is getting the appreciation and attention it deserves in the country?
A:
On some level yes, but not fully. I cannot deny the fact that it is being recognized and growing at a rather acceptable rate. I am still waiting for international competitions where the country can actually sponsor poetry and send our poets overseas like other sports. By international I do not mean South Africa, I mean, international. Then I would say poetry is getting the attention it deserves.

Q: Where do you see yourself in two years?
A:
In two years? Still pursuing my studies. Having performed at more functions and being recognized as one of the growing (or mature) poets in the country.

Q: Now poetry aside, any special man in your life?
A:
[smile] well….. Am I allowed not to answer that?

Q: Your last words?
A:
I always say to people, “Always be yourself, there is no one who can master that profession better than you can.” If you feel you have what it takes to do or be someone, use it, because even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there. You are the only person who thinks in your mind, therefore, you are the power and authority in your own world. Life is too short not to live it fully, and if you live it fully, you will not be scared of death because you know that you have done your part on this earth. Love your life and appreciate those who help you become a better person, but most of all, we should not forget that we stand tallest on our knees, pray as though God about to go away and you need to talk to Him ASAP. He is our brawn afterall.

3 comments:

  1. This is so impressive. Amohelang sounds brilliant and mature while also looking calm and jolly.

    She has such a potential and I believe Lesotho will benefit in different aspects from her in the future if only that she is given a chance

    ReplyDelete