Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mot'selisi "Tsidy K" Khiba

Article: A Fusion of Beauty and Brains that makes Poetry a Jewel in Modern Speech

Well, it’s the duty of Poet’s Blog to introduce to you those poets who have not been seen much in the mainstream but are surely rising there, and this week, we feature Motšelisi Khiba, otherwise known as Tsidy K, a young lady with an angelic voice, whose poetry would make you swear heaven was from her tongue; and judging by her attached poem, you will agree with us when we say, poetry is the air she breathes…


Q: Can you tell us, who is Tsidy K?
A:
Hmmm… So much to say… but I’ll try to be brief. I am friendly, creative, motivated, unique individual, with many differing interests... from art to the corporate field. I’m a social person, but also enjoy spending time alone!

Q: When did you start poetry and what inspired you?
A:
I started writing poetry in 2003. I was young, going through the usual puberty issues, and needed an outlet. So I started to scribble down some of my thoughts, started to compile them, and share them with some of my close friends who encouraged me to continue to write. I was basically inspired by my own personal experiences, and later through the works of other poets.

Q: How would you define your poetry? The style and the message it holds.
A:
My poems are delivered in different styles, (some rhyme, and others don’t) depending on the effect, theme, or general feelings that I wish to bring out from the audience. As I said, I draw inspiration from personal experience, so most of my work carries a sense of raw emotion.

Q: So, who is your inspiration in as far as poetry is concerned and can you give us your top three poets in Lesotho?
A:
I admire poets such as Sonia Sanchez, Lebo Mashile, and Napo Masheane for the creative works, with themes that range from their conception of womanhood to their opinions on society. In the country, my top three would be
1-Nuch
2-Dee
3-Ms. Brown

Q: But who do you look forward to working with and why?
A:
I would like to work with Lyrical Bacteria because I like the way he constructs his poems, and infuses culture and Sesotho into them, which is something that I would like to dabble in, to vary my own style more.

Q: Have you ever performed in-front of a live audience before, and if so, where? Give us those you can remember.
A:
I have only performed my poetry once so far, at Convention Centre, at the Mountain Kingdom Alive show. It was a fun experience, with a responsive audience, so it was a good platform for my first performance to rid myself of any stage fright.


Q: What is your definition of poetry?
A:
Poetry is a liberal, individual form of expression!

Q: Do you think the outward appearance, such as the attire, of a poet matters when they perform in-front of a live audience?
A:
To an extent yes, because what you wear can create a certain perception, can help to further illustrate what you’re going to talk about etc. but generally the focus should be on your words not what you wear!

Q: What do you think of the state of poetry in Lesotho and what do you think can be done to improve it?
A:
I think that the poetry sector is growing; more poets are coming about, receiving more support, and getting more exposure. I think that as poets we should also hone our skills, and explore other ways of verbal expression, such as looking into theatre practices and principals to help with how we deliver poems, and stage presence.

Q: Where do we see Tsidy K two years from now?
A:
I see myself working on my first anthology, performing for the masses, travelling the world’s stage, and making lots of money! Sorry, that’s the inner capitalist talking… (She laughs!)

Q: Final words…
A:
I am an African Enigma… Afro high… dreadlock tight... braid intricate… adorned with beads... jewels of my kin!

7 comments:

  1. I salute you guys in Lesotho you are an organised group do us a regional festival where poets can commune in Lesotho.I am a Zimbabwean poet known as Semalo.samuelmahuntse@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Sister i really love your stuff, i mean your web page. we also have a poetry society and would love to make a connection with you guys, the name of our society is Thoko Nu Verbz, We are based in Qwa-qwa, we have poets that recite in african languages and english. you listen to one of our poetry guys at www.myspace.com/lesikakekopahobua or you can come into contact with us at, mothonzi@mymailsa.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy, I read your online diaries constantly. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up!
    Web development singapore

    ReplyDelete
  4. browse around this site replica bags china hop over to this web-site replica bags buy online click this link here now best replica bags

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9a replica bags check this site out v5g44u1j43 zeal replica bags reviews replica bags new york hermes fake b6n41g7t95 replica bags nyc replica bags online shopping replica gucci z6p93z8l18 replica bags sydney

    ReplyDelete
  6. replica bags reddit fake gucci h0q54n5g79 replica bags india Read Full Report q1t48m0j74 replica gucci handbags joy replica bags review more info here x3r23z6s18 replica bags replica bags china u7u83f3x21

    ReplyDelete